Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Moisturizer Review: Creme de La Mer Moisturizing Cream

 Today's review will be for the Creme de La Mer Moisturizing Cream



Availability: This is available at bluemercury.com, neimanmarcus.com, saksfithavenye.com, sephora.com, nordstrom.com, bloomingdales.com, and barneys.com as well as their respective physical stores. You can also find this on netaporter.com. The retail pricing is as follows:
 $95 for 0.5 fl. oz. (15 mL)
$190 for 1 fl. oz. (30 mL)
$360 for 2 fl. oz. (60 mL)
$545 for 3.4 fl. oz. (75 mL)
$1,330 for 8.4 fl. oz. (255 mL)
$2545 for 16.5 fl. oz. (495 mL) - I personally call this the Faberge egg of La Mer

Would I buy this? No.

What it is formulated to do:
According to sephora.com
What it is: A rich cream that creates a dewy finish on your skin for ultimate hydration.
Skin Type: Normal, Dry, Combination, and Oily
Skincare Concerns: Dryness
Formulation: Lotion
Ingredient Callouts: Free of parabens.
What Else You Need to Know: Miracle Broth is at the heart of La Mer and is infused into every treatment in the collection. This elixir is formulated with hand-harvested sea kelp and other nutrients and minerals unlocked via a natural fermentation process. Surging with vital energies, it supports the five facets of natural healing: moisture, regeneration, soothing, smoothing, and radiance—which help to bring skin back to its healthiest state.

Does it contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
Seaweed Extract: Contains anti-pollution, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory benefits and is healing and soothing to the skin.
Lime Extract: Has antioxidant, antibacterial, and disinfecting qualities.
Sesame Seed Oil and Powder: Contains antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Eucalyptus Leaf Oil: Has anti-bacterial properties and particularly targets acne bacteria.

What is the texture like?
This feels like a nourishing cream.

Is it scented?
This has a very soft, somewhat powdery scent.

My overall experience/comments on the product:
Storytime: So while I wouldn't dream of doing it with today's formula, apparently Max Huber, the creator of the Creme de La Mer used to demo the cream by eating it - trying to say that it's so pure you can eat it. Apparently he also played recordings to the cream as it was being made - which is still something done to this day. In fact, when Estee Lauder bought La Mer they used a medium to contact Huber from beyond the grave (he passed away) to perfect the cream's formula. All this for a cream that was originally designed to help heal chemical burns. I feel like the La Mer of today won't have the same magical effect, or at least, won't work as fast as the original La Mer of yesteryear.
My experience with the cream has been... ok. I personally found it to be a hydrating cream that was, a times, hard to fully rub into my skin due to its thick texture. I found that it moisturized like most other face cream, it didn't reduce my redness... it didn't do anything for my skin that made me go "wow this is worth the money." I will also say that although the quality may be top-notch you cannot convince me that things like seaweed, sesame oil, lime, eucalyptus... cost the fortune of this cream's price point to gather. You can buy gold jewelry for the price of this cream. Let me rephrase: you can invest in something, go on vacation, pay a month's rent... for the price of this cream. Yet, again, for me personally, this wasn't at a $100+ cream caliber. Now, was the texture some kind of magically sublime thing that moisturized yet was weightless and it took away all my redness and made my skin glow like a freshly popped out newborn that just had its first bath you bet your behind I'd be like "OMFG YAAASSS LA MER" but it was just not that... not for me.
I know there are devotees of the brand, people who adore the cream, that claim it's the best thing they've ever used... and a toast to you, good people, that this is amazing for you... but alas, I cannot share in those sentiments.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: This was provided for testing purposes. I am under no obligation, nor am I being compensated, to mention it on this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment