Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Oil/Serum Review: Maya Chia The Straight A Advanced Gentle Retinol Treatment Facial Oil

 Maya Chia The Straight A Advanced Gentle Retinol Treatment Facial Oil

AvailabilityThis retails at $125 for 1 fl oz (30 mL) and can be purchased at bluemercury.com, macys.com, thedetoxmarket.com, bergdorfgoodman.com or credobeauty.com along with their physical store locations as well as mayachia.com, theartofpure.com, and verishop.com.

Would I buy this again? I'm torn.

What is this product? What is it supposed to do?
Product info according to mayachia.com:
The Straight A Advanced Gentle Retinol Treatment uses Encapsulated Retinol (a safe derivative of Vitamin A without BHT) combined with two forms of “Botanical Retinols” – Bakuchiol and Moth Bean Extract – to significantly improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles, promoting plumper, smoother, more radiant, healthier-looking skin
As part of the potent – yet gentle-acting formulation, Maya Chia uses the highest quality shelf-stable Vitamin C, along with Vitamin E to help brighten and reduce hyperpigmentation while they include other carrier oils that are rich in naturally-occurring Vitamin A. Nutrient-dense botanicals such as chia seed and Buriti oil help to moisturize and nourish and achieve the same results as a Retin-A product without the associated irritation.
This impressive concentrated Retinol (Vitamin A) formulation earns an “A” for efficacy – and that is why we call it The Straight A Treatment.

Does this contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
Other than the those mentioned above this has the following:
Rosehip Oil: Has hydrating, anti-inflammatory, and skin-brightening properties.
Raspberry Seed Oil: Has anti-oxidant properties and helps prevent sun damage.
Sunflower Oil: Rich in vitamin E, has antioxidant properties.
Saccharomyces/Podophyllum Ferment: Ferments help to ease skin irritation and inflammation. 
Rosa Damascena Extract: Has anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Rosemary Extract: Have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties.

What is the texture like?
This has a lightweight oily texture.

Is this scented?
This has a floral rose scent - it smells like a high-quality rose oil. 

What has my experience with the product been like?
Given my previous experiences with retinol - it being either drying or just me having lackluster results, I was wary of this until I tried it, and once I did it was difficult not to fall in love. From day one, I was able to use this oil nightly - there was no retinol downtime - no dryness, flakiness, irritation; none of those side-effects you're warned about when starting a retinol regimen. It's very clear that the ingredients here are cocktailed to work synergistically - the retinol and its botanical alternatives work in tandem to really help refine the skin (for me, personally, fine lines are a non-issue at this point but I noticed this just makes my skin's texture a lot smoother), the other ingredients help to hydrate the skin and prevent any irritation. Overall I highly recommend this to any first-time retinol users or anyone who's maybe been burned by retinol but still wants to be able to use it. My only warning would be that if you're someone who is allergic to, or doesn't like rose, or fragrance in their products, this isn't the right product for you. Alas, it is because I love this product and how it works so much that I cringe at its price point, I can totally understand its price point fitting with the brand, etc. I just personally can't afford to drop $125 every three months when this product inevitably runs out. 

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

DisclaimerI purchased this myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment