Friday, March 22, 2019

Candle Review: Otaku Scents Ami (Sailor Mercury)

Hi folks, so I have another home fragrance post for you. 

Candle: Otaku Scents Ami (Sailor Mercury)
Availability:  This can be purchased at $25 for a 9 oz.,  candle or at $6 for 3 oz., as wax melts at otakuscents.com.
Would I buy this again?:No.
Notes: The scent description sounds really good - Roses and violets, with fruity notes of peach, citrus, and strawberry they say.
This particular candle is very strongly scented and throws a scent even when unlit. I'd say the strongest scent that comes out is a mix of violet and strawberry which has an odd aquatic quality to it. I get the citrus if I smell for it but the rose and peach seem to have left the party.
As the wax warms and burns, the scent intensifies, though it doesn't change. 
I found that this candle melted  quite unevenly and would constantly canyon instead of melting evenly to the sides. This can be remedied by adding a second wick... I find this happens quite often with larger single-wicked candles because the heat never distributes evenly enough to make the wax pool melt properly. The throw on this particular candle is NO JOKE! I'm sure it can smell up my entire apartment. Something I find rather odd with these is that the wax seems to have been whipped - I often see pools of bubbles at the surface of the candle when I burn it. Personally I think whipping the wax may cause it to melt unevenly as the trapped air bubbles escape. It's also rather unpleasant to look at, aesthetically, due to the weird bubble clusters. That said, the color of this wax is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING when it melts.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: I purchased this myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment