Thursday, January 5, 2023

Best of 2022 Favorites

Hey folksickles. I feel like this list will be shorter than years past as I stuck to mainly the same products and things in 2022 especially so, there's that. But alas here are the products and things I very much enjoyed and would repurchase. I will say that I don't have photos of the products here because I've used up many of them and thrown them away but... there's always Google and in the instance that I've reviewed a product, the product name will be clickable and you can take a gander at the review.


1. e.l.f. Cosmetics Total Face Sponge: This sponge is just absolutely fantastic! It gets enormous when wet (compared to when dry), is super squishy, and bouncy. My absolute favorite thing about this sponge though is that it isn't very absorbent so it blends out your complexion products perfectly without sucking much of them up into itself. This ensures that you get a fuller coverage, need less complexion product, and makes the sponge itself super quick and easy to wash. My only complaint about these is that because they're this deep maroon berry shade they end up leeching a lot of colorant when they're washed; I wish they weren't dyed or were dyed with something that didn't leech.

2. Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base: I've been testing out my moisturizers to see if there's any that are no longer fresh or that I don't like because I've got a whole bunch in my collection - I use each for a week unless it smells super off before deciding that I want to do with it. Well, the week I was using this I would look forward to my nighttime routine (I use this at night, despite it doubling as a primer, because I use a moisturizer with SPF during the day) so that I can slather this on my skin. This feels luxurious in that it has a rich texture to it, but it absorbs nicely and isn't too thick. You don't need a lot of product at all and honestly, I think it might just be worth splurging on every once in a blue because I'm enjoying it so much! That being said, who knows if I'll ever actually buy this because, like I said, I've got a whole bunch of moisturizer. :P

3. UGG Ansley Moccasins: Ok so I don't really talk about fashion at all on this blog but I just HAD TO mention this because I am so blown away by them. Now, I wasn't the biggest moccasin wearer and in fact I didn't wear them at all but one of my friends got a pair of these fuzzy moccasins in 2019 and said they were super comfy which had me wanting a pair. I mean I got my first pair of proper UGG boots (they Bailey Bow, if you're curious) in 2019 and I absolutely LOVE them, they're super cozy and warm but the slip-on, slip-off aspect of the moccasins got me curious. So when I saw that these were on sale I decided to go for it. Well, these are BEYOND my expectations. I wore them out in 30 degree (F) weather and with bare feet and they kept my feet warm and feel like sticking your feet into cuddly warm clouds, it's just wonderful. That being said, I like to wear nylons with them when the temperature falls below 35(F) just to protect my skin against the elements. They are perfect to throw on for shopping or driving or just generally when you want comfort and can't be bothered with boots (alas they're not rain or snow-friendly, I haven't really worn them in either condition but I wouldn't try it).

4. ColourPop Sol Pressed Powder Palette: I think in terms of its color scheme, this palette is the perfect transitional situation to take you from summer into fall. With that being said, I feel like I've established long ago that I don't really think about seasons much when testing or using my palettes. I've been playing with this again and just absolutely enjoying the process! The shadows are all so beautifully pigmented, blend beautifully together, and create a versatile array of looks. I'm sad that they've discontinued the palette because it's just so great!

5. ColourPop Ooh La La! Pressed Powder Palette: I have been playing around with this palette this month and it has honestly been such a fun time. I really have to thank my bestie for picking this palette out for me because I never would have picked it up on my own at the time. I thought bright pinks would make me look sickly but they're actually super fun and flattering.

6. ORLY Kiss The Bride Nail Lacquer: I feel like my nails just look so elegant with this on. It's definitely a nice whispery pastel pink that pretty much goes with everything. 

7. wet n wild photo focus Dewy Foundation: I have been really loving this foundation. Firstly the shade match is really great for me, it has a beautiful finish to it where it's a medium to full coverage product but still looks like glowing, healthy, skin and it wears well despite the heat and humidity. I do set it with powder, which probably helps it stay put but since I powder all my foundations, I'm still impressed that something dewy holds up so well through this heat. It also doesn't make my skin feel oilier or slide around when it's humid out which other hydrating/dewy products tend to do on me. I'm very impressed with it. 

8. Kim Chi Chic Puff Puff Pass Powder in Translucent: Speaking of setting powders, this is the one I've been using and I really like this because it's super finely milled and silky. It really helps to set makeup, it keeps my under-eyes from creasing but it doesn't like dry, overly powdery, or cakey. 

9. Trader Joe's Watermelon Facial Mist: You folks might remember how much I loved this when I purchased it last year so when I saw it again at Trader Joe's I just had to have it! This smells nice and gives the skin a wonderful, refreshing boost of hydration. For a $4 mist it is worth every penny!

10. NYX Ombre Blush in Soft Flush: I've been playing with the blushes in my collection to see how they wear and how I like them and I just adore this blush so much! It's well-pigmented, gives a pretty flush to my skin that's flattering and looks really nice.

11. ColourPop Lilac You A Lot Pressed Powder Palette: I've been playing with this palette this month and it's been an absolute pleasure. Purples can be so hard to formulate and get right, they're often poorly pigmented or apply kind of splotchy but this palette is an absolute joy to use. Each and every shade is buttery, pigmented, and blends beautifully with the rest. I loved every single look I did with this - it compliments my eye and hair color so nicely. If you are someone that likes purples I would definitely suggest giving this a try.  

And now, a show I really loved. I feel like I watched so much trash anime last year that I can't say anything other than this moved me enough to recommend that others watch it:

12. My Dress-Up Darling: It has been ages, since I've brought up a show that I really enjoyed here and this is a show I really loved watching! Granted, it's quite pervy and loaded with fanservice but I personally think that it works in the context of what's happening and isn't awkwardly inserted for shock factor (or at least, it's done better than other animes have done it). It's a great, genuinely funny rom-com with what I think is a really fun plot and loaded with really sweet moments. 

13.Somali and the Forest Spirit: This has been on favorites back in 2020 and I re-watched it earlier this year. Honestly I'm so in love with the story and adventure in this anime. I love many of the characters so much. That being said, I find it both healing and heartbreaking to watch. The world this story takes place in is beautiful, a lot of the characters are fun and friendly but a lot of them are also prejudiced and ultimately it's curious to see if they ever find peace. In addition, it's heartbreaking because the manga had to be put to a close due to the author's poor health and, while from what I've seen, it seems that the author wants to continue to work on the manga when they make a recovery, it remains uncertain and weather or not the anime will ever get a second (or subsequent) season. I'm not saying that as a oh they should work in it type of sentiment, I'm merely saying that it is generally sad and I hope that, whether or not they continue on Somali, that the author does recover.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Disclaimer: I paid for all these items with the exception of the Bobbi Brown and Kim Chi Chic products which were provided free for testing purposes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment