Sunday, December 9, 2018

Foundation Review: ColourPop No Filter

Today's review is for the ColourPop No Filter Foundation in Fair 10




AvailabilityThis has been discontinued.

Would I buy this? No.

What is this product? What is it supposed to do?
Let's quote from colourpop.com, shall we?
Our oil-free, buildable full coverage foundation was formulated with soft blurring pigments to give you a natural matte finish. No filter needed.

Does this come in any other shade than the one pictured above?
This was avaliable 42 shades.
The shade range, especially online, looks incredible BUT it's very difficult to guess your correct shade without being able to see the range in person - and let's not even get started on the foolishness of watching Youtube videos with lord-only-knows what type of lighting filters this person applied and having them swatch foundation tones on THEIR skin-tone. For instance, if someone very warm were to swatch a color appropriate for me on their arm it would look pink in comparison to them... if someone very deep were to swatch a color appropriate for me it would look ashy on them... none of that gives you an accurate idea of what the shade appropriate for you is or would look like on you.
The match-by-brand function is also nonsensical; for instance:
In MAC I'm an NW 20 - ColourPop suggests Medium 85 (GURL WHAT?!?)
In Maybelline Fit Me I'm a 115 - ColourPop suggests Light 55
In Fenty I'm a 120 - ColourPop suggests Fair 30
While I can buy that I might be light, and not fair, given the wide shade range here, I DO NOT BUY that in any world I'd fall into a medium range unless I were heavily spray tanned. VERY HEAVILY. I'm also not trying to buy 3-4 bottles of foundation hoping there's a shade for me. I'm sure there is a shade that would match me near perfectly but I couldn't tell you what it is. 

What's the coverage/consistency like?
I would say this has a medium-full, very buildable coverage. This has a smooth, natural-matte finish; meaning it dries down to a skin-like, every-so-slightly dewy but powdery look.

Does this have any beneficial ingredients in it?
Glycerin  which is a humectant and draws moisture in from the environment
Vitamin E which has antioxidant benefits

Is this scented?
This is unscented.

What has my experience with the product been like?
Pros:
-Consistency is really smooth, easy to blend and apply
-Lightweight
-Good coverage
Cons:
- bottle doesn't come with a lid, I worry about how this would travel unless you were to stick it in a separate zip-lock bag or keep it in the box
- difficult to match properly based on the information the website provides
- has tendency to collect in the pores, giving a textured look
So, going into this I'd heard mixed reviews and wasn't sure what to expect but I figured hey, at $12 I can afford to experiment. I have mixed feelings about the foundation - it goes on nice and stays on alright if the weather's not humid - if it's humid you can wave this stuff goodbye. The color is too pale for me, which is nearly never the case, but it is here. I don't think that, even in the dead of winter, this will match me properly but hey it's great for when I want to look ghostly... In fact I'm pretty sure this might suit someone with mild albinism... I'm not exaggerating! I think it's really great that the shade range, especially with both ends of the spectrum, is so thorough. Often times you're able to find good matches for medium skin-tones but the fair and deep folks are left out... especially the folks with deeper skin-tones, most ranges will literally jump from medium-with-a-tan to something really nonsensical like inflamed brownie... just an fyi no one's skin-tone is inflamed brownie stop it y'all... stop it... there's absolutely no point in adding copious amounts of red to deeper tones in your complexion range ESPECIALLY when you also make all the fair shades JAUNDICE EFFIN YELLOW wth is that about. You've obviously got access to the proper pigments and are mixing them about all wrong... it's like a painter that paints the sky yellow and the grass purple and then tries to play it off like it naturally occurs that way NO IT DOESN'T!!! Anyway... hello tangent - a necessary one, one that affects the market tremendously. One that affects me as a consumer and a makeup artist. Anyway, also, like I mentioned this gathers in my pores so it doesn't really give me a smooth, "no filter," effect. I think if I liked the formula more I'd put in the effort of finding my appropriate shade but I feel like I personally need something more dewy in formulation but with better staying power.

What do I use to apply the product?
I apply this with  my Crown brush beauty blender knockoff.

I feel as though this review is pretty thorough but please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Disclaimer: I purchased this myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment