Sunday, July 17, 2022

Sleeping Mask Review: Fourth Ray Beauty Grand Reveal resurfacing overnight mask

'Ello folksickles. Today's review will be for the Fourth Ray Beauty Grand Reveal resurfacing overnight mask.

Availability: This product retails at $16 for .34 g (1.2 oz.) and can be purchased at fourthraybeauty.com and colourpop.com

Would I buy this again? I'm not sure yet.

What it is formulated to do:
According to fourthraybeauty.com:
Get the smoothest sleep ever.
The overnight mask that works to resurface and moisturize skin in one single step.
✨ Exfoliate & Hydrate - This lightweight, yet super moisturizing formula tackles dull skin overnight so you can wake up to softer and smoother skin.
💫 5% AHA Blend - Formulated with AHA powerhouses Glycolic Acid and Lactic Acid, known to exfoliate and renew skin texture for the softest skin.
💦 Lock In Moisture - Infused with nourishing Squalane to help improve skin’s moisture balance and elasticity.
MOISTURIZING
EXFOLIATING

caution: avoid use on broken or peeling skin. wait 24 hours before applying to freshly shaved skin. discontinue use if irritation occurs.
sunburn alert: this mask contains ahas that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and the possibility of sunburn. use sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterward.

Does it contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
Again, according to fourthraybeauty.com:
Glycolic Acid: known to exfoliate and renew skin texture.
Lactic Acid: known to help exfoliate and reveal softer skin.
Squalane: known to improve the moisture balance and elasticity in the skin. It replenishes and supports the skin barrier for improved skin moisture immediately and over time.

What is the texture like?
This has a thin, creamy texture that I would describe as being between that of a thick serum or thin lotion. 

Is it scented?
This has a fruity scent that's reminiscent of their A-HA Moment exfoliating enzyme Mask

My overall experience/comments on the product:
Honesty, I purchased this because I'm running low on masks and didn't realize that this was intended to be left on overnight. That being said, since I got it I decided what the heck, let me just try it out. While the warnings on the back of the packaging did concern me a little, I was able to use a 20% glycolic in the past, on skin that I shave (PCOS is such a pain, am I right?) and that was afflicted with eczema with good results - the glycolic actually helped my moisturizers penetrate better and sloughed off the eczema flakes. So overall while the mask definitely tingles when I initially apply it, the sensation doesn't last more than a minute or two and I wake up with a beautiful glow to my skin. I currently am experiencing an eczema patch on my chin and this really helps exfoliate that area so it can absorb moisturizer better and therefore clear up faster. 
Another point I want to make with this is that, while I personally tend to use overnight masks on a nightly basis because the majority of them are meant to seal hydration in the skin, I wouldn't recommend using this nightly because of its acid content. I would say anywhere from 1-3x/week is plenty or every other night at the absolute most; unless your skin is used to glycolic. Even so, I still wouldn't recommend exfoliating your skin nightly because that could increase its sensitivity to both the sun and to other irritants because when you're exfoliating too frequently you start messing with the skin barrier. You merely want to do it often enough to help slough off dead skin cells that are causing you dullness and clogged pores.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: I purchased this myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment