Saturday, September 29, 2018

Serum Review: Skinceuticals Discoloration Defense

Skinceuticals Discoloration Defense

AvailabilityThis is available at bluemercury.com as well as their respective physical store/ locations along with dermstore.com, skinceuticals.com, and skinstore.com. The retail pricing is $98 for 1 oz. (30 mL).

Would I buy this? No.

What is this product? What is it supposed to do?
Product info according to bluemercury.com:
WHAT IT IS
A skin brightening serum clinically proven as an effective dark spot corrector.
BENEFITS
SkinCeuticals Discoloration Defense is clinically proven to reduce the appearance of dark spots and discoloration on the face. Powered by kojic acid, tranexamic acid and vitamin B3, this advanced formula is a hydroquinone-free skin brightening serum. 
Key Benefits: 
Features a synergistic blend of anti-discoloration ingredients to reduce the appearance of skin discoloration, improve brightness, and minimize the reoccurrence of discoloration (with continued use) 60% average improvement in the appearance of stubborn brown patches Paraben-free, fragrance-free, silicone-free, gluten-free, and hydroquinone-free Ideal at-home complement to professional skin discoloration treatments, such as chemical peels or non-ablative laser; always consult with a physician for individual regimen recommendations

Does this contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
Again, according to bluemercury.com:
3% tranexamic acid: minimizes the reoccurrence of discoloration and brown patches with continued use
1% kojic acid: helps improve skin brightness
5% niacinamide (vitamin B3): has been shown to help reduce the appearance of skin discoloration
5% HEPES: activates natural enzymes in skin to help break the bonds that bind dead skin cells to the surface for even exfoliation

What is the texture like?
The texture of this is what I would describe as a very watery gel. It is very runny and liquid-y but spreads in a gel-like way... if that makes any sense.

Is this scented?
To me this has no discernible scent. 

What has my experience with the product been like?
I may not be an appropriate candidate to test this product as I don't really have any "dark spots" to speak of and my main discoloration concerns are redness and under-eye darkness. That said, I will speak to the texture of this. It feels refreshing and lightly moisturizing, I do think that its enzymatic action leaves my skin feeling smooth and evenly textured, which I like. However, as I've said, because it's not the most appropriate serum for me and is at a high price point I just don't think it's worth the money for something that just feels nice.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

DisclaimerThis was provided for testing purposes. I am not obligated or being compensated to mention it on this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment