Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Eye Serum Review: The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG

Hello folksickles. Today's review will be for The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + ECGC.

Availability: This product retails at $7.50 for 30 ml (1 fl. oz.) and is available at sephora.com, ulta.com, target.com, kohls.com, and deceim.com along with their physical store locations.

Would I buy this again?: I think so.

What is this product designed to address?
According to sephora.com this is what the product is and what it does:
What it is: A concentrated serum with high-solubility caffeine and green tea cathechin to visibly reduce eye-contour pigmentation and puffiness.
Skin Type: Normal, Dry, Combination, and Oily
Skincare Concerns: Dark Circles, Puffiness

Does it contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
Again, according to sephora.com:
Caffeine and Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG): Help to reduce the look of puffiness and dark circles underneath the eyes.

What is the texture like?
I'd describe the texture as a gelatinous, viscous liquid that feels refreshing when applied. 

Is it scented?
I will preface what I'm about to say that I only smell the product when I smell it from the bottle or the back of my hand; I don't smell anything when I apply this to my eye area. That being said, this smells truly bizarre - I'm getting a coffee bean scent, which is expected, paired with a scent that I can only describe as being that of a shoe repair shop - they all have a very distinct scent and I cannot tell you if it's leather, glue, shoe dye or some sort of combination but I get that note here and it's... odd!

My overall experience/comments on the product:
I've only used this consistently now for about a week so I would consider this review as more of a first impression and nothing super thorough although, as I've said many times in the past, I am happy to come back and give an update if anyone wants one. If not, an update will show up whenever I'm done with this in an empties post. Also, this has shockingly low reviews on sephora.com but at this being a mere $7.50 for a whole ounce of product I was willing to try it out. Personally, it works for me, at least thus far. I notice a reduction in the puffiness of my eyes and they appear somewhat brighter to me. That being said, I don't have significant under-eye circles so the brightening effect might be more of a placebo affect. That being said, puffiness is something I do frequently contend with and I find that this does a good job of minimizing mine. In addition, this feels refreshing when I put it on but I like to layer an eye cream over the top of this just to give me that extra hydration. In my opinion this is a nice companion to an eye cream that might be giving you the hydration but not the anti-puffiness and brightening effects you're after. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: I purchased this myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment