Sunday, January 24, 2016

LUSH Soap Review: Yog Nog

'Ello folksickles. Today's review will be for Lush Yog Nog Soap
For reference, what the full-sized (aka gigantic) soap block looks like
Availability: It appears that this has been discontinued in bar soap form. 

Would I buy this again?: Doubt it.

What is this product designed to address?
According to lushusa.com this is what the product is and what it does:
Indulgent and spicy
Did you know Egg Nog is the most popular Christmas drink in North America? It’s true! To honor this shared love of all things boozy and creamy, we re-imagined this drink as a vegan soap. Made with soy yogurt and a dash of festive spice, Yog Nog has that unmistakable creamy texture with a spicy blend of clove bud and ylang ylang essential oils to leave skin super soft. We even gave it a generous dusting of aromatic cocoa and nutmeg powder. Just try not to eat it. Because after all, it's still soap.

Does it contain any special/beneficial ingredients?
According to the lovely lushusa.com the star ingredient in here is the:
Ylang ylang - Aromatherapists use it for its uplifting properties in treating stress and depression.
This also contains:
Glycerin, rapeseed oil, and coconut oil to hydrate the skin
Gardenia extract for scent
Cocoa powder and nutmeg powder which both act as natural antioxidants

What is the texture like?
This soap feels very soft and creamy - it produces a really nice foam.

Is it scented?
The scent is creamy with a somewhat astringent, acidic note. It smells nicer dry before using it... to me this smells somewhat like yogurt mixed in with warm spices (nutmeg?) and ylang ylang. Now, with my experience with ylang ylang essential oil, it can sometimes emit a urine-like odor and while it's fairly subtle here I can still sense it sometimes and... I'm just not as in love with this as I hoped to be because I LOVE eggnog but this just wasn't doing it for me.

My overall experience/comments on the product:
Ok I have to say this soap is just not for me for several reasons. Firstly the smell is like... I can tolerate it and use it up but I don't LOVE it and for the price of these I'd have to love something to rebuy it. Secondly, things have gotten better since it washed off but the cocoa-nutmeg layer that was at the top tended to irritate and kind of dry out my skin which wasn't particularly appreciated. I use this as a hand-soap and I like to use solid soaps for that purpose only... I tend to prefer a liquid for showering purposes so, I felt like I'd point that out as it might affect how you feel about purchasing it in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: I purchased this myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment