Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sugarpill Sweet Heart Palette Review

My Sugarpill Story: Amy Doan, the founder of Sugarpill, has been an inspiration many years before Sugarpill even launched. I found out about her Ebay shop through Leesha's videos and  was blown away by the gorgeous makeup looks she did to accompany her product pages. She is an enormous inspiration to me because she's doing what she loves and is colorful and not afraid to express or be herself. So when Sugarpill first launched about 2 years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) I knew I had to get my hands on the goods. But I've kind of patiently waited for the reviews to come in and the line to grow. I did order some things last year, but with me being kinda cheap (:/) I (im)patiently awaited this year's Black Friday sale to get some products. I really hope you enjoy the review and seriously, if you have the money to spend, go to sugarpill.com right now and get your hands on this gold! :3

Today's review will specifically be for the Sweetheart Palette 
This features artwork by the very talented Miss Kika, I love it, will not throw away or let anything happen to it; I'm tempted to frame it O.o :P

Availability: Sugarpill no longer carries these palettes and the only color still remaining for purchase is Tako, which retails at $13 for 3.5g (0.12 oz).
Notes:  I will start with the technical stuff and overall notes before getting into each individual color. First of all, I've heard complaints about the heaviness of the palette. Now, the reason it's heavy, is because it has a magnetic plate under it, which holds the shadows. Amy didn't have to add this and could very well have gone with a design where the shadows were glued in, but I love how thoughtful this is, you can switch out shadows between the palettes (or de-pot the individuals) so you can arrange or travel with them as you like. Personally, I don't really mind the heft, to me, it makes the palette feel more sturdy.

Ok, I've yapped and tempted you with photos long enough, let's get to the colors :D:
Dollipop: I have not seen a single swatch do this color justice - I think it's difficult to photograph because it always comes off as a dull magenta. Which is not my cup of tea. But this is, as described on the website, a hot pink fuchsia color in reality. As soon as I swatched this, I thought it reminded me of something, and that something is actually MAC's Clarity.  Not color-wise, but texture-wise. Clarity is a matte squared (and the only matte squared I own, hence why I refer to it in particular), basically this means the color's matte, but its texture is amazing buttery smoothness that has no problems blending. It's rather delicious. :3 The only con with this is that it stains. If I use a base under it when I apply it, it won't stain my eyelids but otherwise it can be a bit of an issue.
Afterparty: This is a beautiful turquoise-y bright blue with a soft pearl throughout. This kind of shade is something I adore wearing on myself and I like Afterparty because it's bright enough to wear on my lid without looking like I got into a fight. :P

Midori: This is a beautiful grass green with a soft golden pearl throughout. I don't own anything like this and am totally digging it. It's so gorgeous and I think would work wonderfully with my eye color. :3

Tako: Tako is a matte white. It isn't the most exciting color in the world but makes a nice vivid highlight. Lately, I find myself reaching for a matte white and I don't really have anything this vibrantly white (that's also matte) in my collection and am glad to have this. I've read complaints that this can be chalky and honestly, have not had that problem. I find the texture to be buttery and creamy. Maybe it just looks fine because I'm so pale. :/ This is totally random, but the name always reminds me of the weird barbecued baby tako kebabs that were at the karaoke bar. Not only were they creepy but they were over-vinegared xD I do believe Amy named this after her kitty though. :P

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Disclaimer: I bought this palette with my own funds :3

No comments:

Post a Comment